Individuals who have faced persecution in the past or have a well-founded fear of future persecution and have been deprived of protection in their country of origin may qualify for political asylum. This status confers upon the holder the privilege to dwell and engage in employment within the United States, safeguarding them from the peril of mistreatment.
Individuals who are currently present within the territorial boundaries of the United States or those who have entered the country without lawful authorization may submit an application for political asylum. This encompasses individuals who have entered the country without proper documentation, including both undocumented immigrants and lawful permanent residents.
It is imperative that an individual seeking political asylum substantiate their eligibility by satisfying the ensuing criteria:
The predominant basis for initiating legal proceedings is an individual’s political beliefs. In the event that an individual is subject to persecution on account of their beliefs or actions, it may be inferred that said individual does not espouse support for the prevailing authority within their nation. This may entail engaging in picketing, participating in protest actions, opposing unlawful warfare or mobilization, or being affiliated with a labor organization or political faction.
Religious. It has come to our attention that you have been subject to or are currently facing persecution on the basis of your religious convictions. There are presently limitations on the exercise of one’s religious beliefs within your jurisdiction. Numerous religious factions, such as Jehovah’s Witnesses, Catechists, Baptists, and various others, have been afforded political asylum within the United States.
Allegations of discriminatory practices based on race. You are subject to persecution on the basis of your race, ethnicity, or national origin due to your membership in a particular social group. It is alleged that the government has failed to provide sufficient protection against systemic persecution and violence.
The following items may be submitted as evidence in support of your political asylum claim:
- The aforementioned evidence includes witness testimonies and screenshots of various types of threats conveyed to you through SMS, WhatsApp, Telegram, Viber, Facebook, and other similar means of communication.
- The client has encountered posts and publications on diverse social media platforms that contain menacing statements directed at them.
- According to the medical reports submitted, the subject of the documentation has sustained injuries consistent with physical assault.
- The undersigned medical professional has arrived at certain conclusions regarding the emergence of phobias.
- Pursuant to the aforementioned, the documents in question include reports and protocols issued by law enforcement agencies, court summonses, and a depiction of the current state of affairs within the nation.
- Photographic evidence obtained from demonstrations
- Correspondences of endorsement emanating from the ecclesiastical, political, and LGBT factions;
- Photographic evidence of menacing messages affixed to your vehicle, residential entryways, and postal receptacle
- This enumerated catalog of evidence is merely a limited illustration of its potential scope. Any and all documentation that substantiates your account, whether directly or indirectly, may be appended to your case.
It is advised that you pursue asylum within a year of your most recent arrival in the United States by completing and submitting Form I-589 (Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal), or alternatively, provide a justification for your delayed application beyond the one-year timeframe. In the event that the prevailing conditions within the country have deteriorated or if there were exceptional circumstances that prevented the petitioner from submitting an asylum application within the prescribed one-year period, the court retains the discretion to grant an extension for the filing of said application.
In the event that certain circumstances exist, asylum may be declined.
It is alleged that you present a potential danger to the security of the United States of America.
It has come to our attention that you have engaged in the persecution of individuals based on their political beliefs, nationality, religious affiliation, and other similar factors in the past.
In the event that you have been found guilty of a particularly grave offense outside the jurisdiction of the United States of America.
In the event that you possess verifiable evidence of familial relations in a foreign jurisdiction, the United States of America may deem it feasible for you to relocate to said relatives.
It has come to our attention that you have resided within the United States of America for a period exceeding one year and have failed to submit an application for the appropriate legal status within the aforementioned one-year timeframe, absent a valid justification for such inaction.