Reuniting American citizens with their brothers and sisters - Arvian Immigration Law Firm

+1 (213) 838 0095

Reuniting with brothers and sisters

Reuniting American citizens with their brothers and sisters

Citizens of the United States above the age of 21 can file a petition for family reunion with their siblings and sisters. This opportunity is not available to Green Card holders.

To begin the process of family reunification, file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, and then follow up with Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. 

Because the I-130 petition does not grant your siblings and sisters any immigration status in the United States, you must constantly maintain your legal status. 

When a relative files an I-130 petition to reconnect with you, they are sent a Form I-797C notification with your Priority date. The priority date is the day on which your seat in the visa line begins. This date may be the same as the date the petition was received, or it may be many days later. Priority date allows you to track the status of your turn in the Visa Bulletin.

The Visa Bulletin is a monthly news release issued by USCIS on the eighth and fifteenth of each month. It includes up-to-date information on the number of available immigration visas in the United States. 

Brothers and sisters of US citizens who are second-generation relatives who fall under the Fourth Preference (F4) may be able to apply for a Green Card. 

The Visa Bulletin data is based on immigration visa quotas established by US law.

For U.S. citizenship, the applicant must present one of the following documents:

– a copy of the consular certificate of birth abroad (if born abroad from U.S. citizens); a copy of the certificate of naturalization; and a copy of the citizenship certificate.

The following documents must be included in the proof establishing affinity with the beneficiary:

Common biological parent – a copy of the birth certificate confirming the common parent;

– common father, but different mothers – copies of the papers on the father’s marriage to each mother and copies of documents on the dissolution of previous marriages;

– linked through an adoptive parent – a copy of the adoption order confirming that the adoption took place before you or the beneficiary was 16 years old; 

If your parents’ names or surnames have changed, you must provide proof of the formal name change, which may include a marriage certificate, a divorce decree, an adoption order, a court judgment to change the name, and so on.

Documents must be submitted in their original form or as certified copies, with an official translation into English.

If a brother or sister is awaiting approval for an immigration visa outside the United States, he or she will most likely be denied a non-immigrant visa (such as a tourist or student visa) since he or she is considered a potential immigrant.

Finally, the family reunification process allows U.S. citizens over the age of 21 to file a petition for an immigration Green Card visa for their brothers and sisters. This road necessitates patience and documentary support, but it can result in a meaningful ending – the ability to spend continuous time with close family members.