How to Obtain US Citizenship - Arvian Immigration Law Firm

+1 (213) 838 0095

Family Based Immigration

How to Obtain US Citizenship

There are several ways to become a U.S. citizen:

  • Naturalization: This is the most common path, requiring long-term residence in the U.S. with official permanent resident status.
  • Military Service: Serving in the U.S. military can expedite the naturalization process.
  • Marriage: Marrying a U.S. citizen can provide a pathway to citizenship.
  • Birthright Citizenship: Being born in the U.S. or to a U.S. citizen parent automatically grants citizenship.
  • Political Asylum: Individuals granted political asylum may eventually qualify for citizenship.

Benefits of U.S. Citizenship

U.S. citizens enjoy numerous benefits, including:

  • Unrestricted right to live, work, and study in the U.S.
  • Access to government benefits, including healthcare, social security, and legal aid.
  • The right to vote in elections and participate in national referendums.
  • The ability to retain dual citizenship with your home country.

Requirements for Obtaining a U.S. Passport

To obtain a U.S. passport, you must meet one of the following criteria:

  • Have at least one parent who is a U.S. citizen.
  • Have lived in the U.S. as a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) for 5 years (or 3 years if married to a U.S. citizen).
  • Have served in the U.S. military for at least 1 year and hold LPR status at the time of application.
  • Have been born on U.S. territory.

Naturalization Process

Naturalization is the process of acquiring citizenship through long-term U.S. residence. To apply for naturalization, you must:

  1. File Form N-400 with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

  2. Meet the following eligibility requirements:

    • Physical presence in the U.S. as a permanent resident for 5 years (or 3 years if married to a U.S. citizen), with at least 30 months of continuous residence immediately before filing.
    • Residence in the state or USCIS district with jurisdiction over your residence for at least 3 months before filing.
    • Good moral character for 5 years before filing and until taking the oath of allegiance.
    • Ability to read, write, and speak English, and knowledge of U.S. history and basic constitutional principles.
  3. Provide evidence of eligibility, pass a language test (Civic test), and pass an exam on U.S. history and government.