US Child Visa - Arvian Immigration Law Firm

+1 (213) 838 0095

our immigration services

US Child Visa IR-2, K-2

Bringing your child to the U.S.? Arvian Law Firm specializes in IR-2 and K-2 visas, ensuring a smooth and stress-free path for your family’s immigration journey. Trust our expertise to navigate the complexities of child visa applications.

Securing your child's future in the United States

Relocating to the United States is a major life decision, and ensuring a smooth transition for your children is paramount. Obtaining the correct visa for your child is a critical step in this process, allowing them to legally reside and potentially pursue education or future opportunities in the United States.

At the Arvian Law Firm, we specialize in navigating the complexities of family-based immigration law. We understand that each family’s situation is unique, and we’re committed to providing personalized guidance to help you secure the best possible future for your children.

Two of the most common visa categories for children are the IR-2 (for immediate relatives of U.S. citizens) and the K-2 (for children of fiancé(e) visa holders). Understanding the differences between these visas and their eligibility requirements is essential to determining the right path for your family.

Let’s delve into the specifics of these child visas and how Arvian Law Firm can help you secure them.

IR-2 Visa (Child of U.S. Citizen)

The IR-2 visa is for children of U.S. citizens living outside the United States. It’s an important way for children to join their parents in the U.S. and build a life together.

Eligibility Requirements:

  • U.S. Citizen Parent: The sponsoring parent must be a U.S. citizen.
  • Child’s Age: The child must be under the age of 21 and unmarried at the time of visa issuance.
  • Parent-Child Relationship: There must be a legal parent-child relationship established by birth or adoption.

Petition Process:

  1. Petition Filing: The U.S. citizen parent files Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
  2. National Visa Center Processing: Upon approval, the case is transferred to the National Visa Center (NVC), which collects fees and documents.
  3. Consular Processing: The child attends a visa interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate in his or her home country. You must submit Form DS-260, Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration Application, along with supporting documents (birth certificate, passport, physical examination results, etc.).

Interview and Approval:

The interview evaluates the validity of the parent-child relationship and the child’s eligibility for the visa. Be prepared to answer questions about your family, background, and ties to your home country. Arvian Law Firm can help you prepare thoroughly for this important step.


Once the visa is approved, the child can travel to the U.S. Upon arrival, they’ll receive their green card (permanent resident card), which allows them to live and work in the U.S. indefinitely.

Rights and benefits:

IR-2 visa holders have the same rights as other lawful permanent residents, including the right to

  • Live and work in the U.S.
  • Attend public schools
  • Access government benefits
  • Apply for U.S. Citizenship after meeting residency requirements

Why Arvian Law Firm?

Navigating the IR-2 visa process can be complex. The experienced attorneys at Arvian Law Firm are here to guide you every step of the way to ensure a smooth and successful application process for your child. We can help you gather and submit the necessary documents, prepare for the interview, and address any issues that may arise.


K-2 Visa (Child of K-1 Visa Holder)

The K-2 visa is specifically for children of K-1 visa holders, also known as fiancé(e) visas. If you are a U.S. citizen planning to marry abroad and bring your fiancé(e) and their child to the U.S., the K-2 visa is the appropriate pathway for your future stepchild.

Eligibility Requirements:

  • K-1 Visa Holder Parent: The sponsoring parent must hold a valid K-1 visa and intend to marry the U.S. citizen petitioner within 90 days of entering the United States.
  • Child’s Age: The child must be under 21 years of age and unmarried at the time of visa issuance.
  • Parent-Child Relationship: There must be a legal parent-child relationship established by birth or adoption.

Petition Process:

  1. Petition Filing: The U.S. citizen fiancé(e) files Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), along with evidence of the relationship and intent to marry.
  2. Consular Processing: Upon approval of the I-129F, the case is sent to the U.S. embassy or consulate where the child and the K-1 visa holder reside. The child must complete Form DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, and attend a visa interview.

Interview and Approval:

Similar to the IR-2 interview, the K-2 interview assesses the parent-child relationship and the child’s eligibility. Be prepared to answer questions about your family and background. Arvian Law Firm can help you navigate this process with confidence.

After approval:

Once approved, the child can travel to the U.S. with the K-1 visa holder. After the K-1 holder and the U.S. citizen marry, the child can apply for adjustment of status to become a lawful permanent resident (obtain a green card) in the U.S.

Rights and Benefits:

K-2 visa holders can:

  • Live and study in the U.S.
  • Attend public schools
  • Obtain a driver’s license (if eligible)
  • Work authorization (after obtaining a green card through adjustment of status)

After obtaining a green card, the child may eventually apply for U.S. citizenship if he or she meets the eligibility requirements.

Why Arvian Law Firm?

The K-2 visa process can be complicated, especially when coordinated with the K-1 process. Arvian Law Firm’s attorneys have extensive experience handling both K-1 and K-2 cases, ensuring a seamless and efficient process for your entire family. We provide personalized guidance, assistance with document preparation, and interview preparation to give you the best chance of success.

IR-2 vs. K-2: Choosing the Right Visa for Your Child

While both IR-2 and K-2 visas provide a way for children to live in the United States, they are designed for different family situations and have different characteristics. Understanding these differences is critical to making an informed decision.

FeatureIR-2 (Child of U.S. citizen)K-2 (Child of K-1 Visa Holder)
Parent's StatusU.S. CitizenK-1 Visa Holder (Fiancé(e) of U.S. Citizen)
Child StatusImmediate relativeDerivative of K-1 Visa Holder
Primary petitionForm I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative)Form I-129F (Petition for Alien Fiancé(e))
Processing timeGenerally longer (varies by embassy/consulate)Generally faster (linked to K-1 visa processing)
Child benefitsImmediate Green Card upon arrivalAdjustment of Status to Green Card after Marriage

When to choose which visa:

  • IR-2: If you are a U.S. citizen living abroad and want to bring your child to the U.S. permanently, the IR-2 visa is the most direct route.
  • K-2: If you are a U.S. citizen planning to marry abroad and your fiancé(e) has a child, the K-2 visa allows the child to accompany his or her parents to the U.S. and eventually obtain a green card after the marriage.

Pros and Cons:

Visa TypeAdvantagesDisadvantages
IR-2Child will receive a Green Card immediately upon arrival.Processing time may be long.
K-2Faster processing than IR-2 because it is linked to the K-1 visa.Child cannot work until adjustment of status is complete.
Андрій Скіряк
Андрій Скіряк
Хочемо щиро подякувати компанії Arvian Law,за якісну та своєчасну допомогу по нашій справі,а саме зміні статусу з advance parole на green card Усе було на найвищому рівні,завжди на зв’язку,підтримка і відповідальність,відповіді на усі запитання та повинний супровід по нашому кейсу Вони великі професіонали своєї справи
Inna Parshina
Inna Parshina
Won the polytical asylum! I recommend him! Виталий представлял мою семью по политич.убежищу, и с ним МЫ ВЫИГРАЛИ. Подготовку вела команда. Подготовку к основному суду вел сам Виталий, а также лично приезжал на финальное слушание. Мне понравилось, что договор был сразу на двух языках. Понравилось,что ребята своевременно отвечают на вопросы.
Anatolii Sakharov
Anatolii Sakharov
The best crew I've ever worked with
Alla Pasechnik
Alla Pasechnik
Наша семья очень благодарна Виталию за проделанную работу. Он профессионал своего дела,  грамотный юрист. Виталий, при необходимости, всегда был на связи, работать с ним было легко и комфортно. Он все доступно объясняет, помогает и поддерживает на протяжении всего процесса. Смело можем рекомендовать всю его команду.
Tokhir Khamidov
Tokhir Khamidov
Great team! Quickly responding for any questions, and always helping with anything.
Oryna Reznichenko
Oryna Reznichenko
Хочу поблагодарить компанию Arvian за слаженно и профессионально проделанную работу!Благодаря вам я стала обладателем той ,самой заветной зеленой карточки !Спасибо вам огромное ребята!!
Антон Баранников
Антон Баранников
We are a young couple who came from Ukraine in 22, while we were already in the USA, we applied for and completed our green card without an interview with an officer thanks to the super team of Arvian, we highly recommend
Тем, кто ищет хорошего иммиграционного адвоката - вам сюда. Не смотря на сжатые сроки - подали все документы вовремя и получили одобрение. Отвечают на вопросы оперативно и компетентно. Рекомендую Arvian Law Firm как надежную и профессиональную команду для решения Ваших иммиграционных вопросов!
Abubakr Khamdamov
Abubakr Khamdamov
I contacted them because they were one of the people who took cases in Louisiana, and because they had very good reviews. My friend was in immigration. While he was there, they were in touch all the time and helped as best they could! They pulled my friend out from where many people cannot get out. Thanks to them for everything! Contact them.

Don't Wait to Embrace Your Loved One: Child Visa Assistance


We understand that navigating the visa process for your child can be overwhelming. That’s why we’re here to make it as smooth as possible.

Let the experienced team at Arvian Law Firm guide you through every step, so you can focus on what really matters: building your future together with your child.

Let’s talk about bringing your child to the U.S.

We’re ready to listen to your unique situation and create a personalized plan to reunite you with your child.

No Pressure, Just Answers: We’ll give you honest advice and answer any questions you have about the IR-2 or K-2 visa process.

Your dream of a future together starts here

At Arvian Law Firm, we’re more than just lawyers; we’re your partners in the journey to a life together with your child in the United States.

Contact Arvian Law Firm today

Phone: +1 (213) 838 0095 Let us help you make your dream a reality.

Yes, both IR-2 and K-2 visa holders have the right to attend public schools in the United States, from elementary to high school. They may also be eligible for in-state tuition at public universities, depending on the state’s residency requirements.

IR-2 visa holders automatically receive a Green Card, allowing them to work immediately. K-2 visa holders can only work after they adjust their status and obtain a Green Card, which typically happens after the marriage of their parent to the U.S. citizen.

Processing times vary depending on the U.S. embassy or consulate and current caseloads. Generally, IR-2 visas take longer than K-2 visas because they involve a separate petition process.

It’s generally not recommended to travel internationally while a visa application is pending, as it could cause delays or complications. Consult with Arvian Law Firm before making any travel plans.

If a child turns 21 before the visa is issued, they may no longer be eligible for the IR-2 or K-2 visa. However, there may be other visa options available, depending on their individual circumstances.

Yes, stepchildren may be eligible for IR-2 or K-2 visas if they meet the age and relationship requirements. The legal parent-child relationship must be established before the child turns 18.

The sponsoring parent or fiancé(e) must demonstrate sufficient income or assets to support the child in the U.S. This is typically done through an Affidavit of Support (Form I-864) and supporting financial documents.


Free consultation

If you are located in the US, please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have. We look forward to helping you.